Sunday, August 19, 2007

Getting Rid Of Acorns In Your Yard




Volunteers


I have not "blogged In French since December 14, 2006, and I'm very sorry because of that. It takes me two hours blogging in English and if I made a translation in French at the same time, it would take me half a day. But this time, the subject included Tanguy, little man and neighbor who helped us with work in the garden recently. Even if he can speak a little English, he can not understand: this blog and therefore, it is my duty as a resident in France, to try a translation if he corrects me. (That way, thank you Tangui)


We had a proposal for a volunteer, Emily, who was to come here and stay a few days to see our experience in permaculture and at the same time, help us in our work. Too bad for us, she found other things to do and forgot to tell us. Too bad for us, because two deadlines approaching (the first of two operations on my wrist carpal tunnel syndrome-and-our marriage, both in September) and we have a huge list of things to do. Each morning begins for me, I woke up first, and bringing in Gabrielle a cup of tea, then wake up and feed all the animals, and during that time, she prepares breakfast is ready when I return. Often now, breakfast is followed by a "meeting" between us. By taking a strong coffee, we plan and try to prioritize the list of things to do. We became too enthusiastic with what a volunteer would bring to our lives, but we remain alone with the list of things to be impracticable.


"It is the tree that hides the forest" could apply to my inability to see the volunteers for the neighbors. Alan and Tangui to the rescue! Alan and Carole have a stove, which obviously needs of small wood fires to start and logs for burning. They also need some wood chips for the path in their garden. An elegant solution presented itself: Alan cut, crushed and removed all waste left by Duncan arborist (see my blog August 7 in English) and our plot is buildable, magically and meticulously identified as by a certain fairy of the forest! Meanwhile, on the other field, Gabrielle was doing his job with the mill with other scraps when Duncan Tanguy, affable and willing (and perhaps slightly bored at the end of summer vacation) has offered its services
. Should we be supported to exploit child labor ? Absolutely not! I think the Victorians had clearly shown?: Why spend the money to pay for sweeping when you could throw a small child with a brush up the chimney!


Thus, with many hands making light work, we are caught
some time, we thank you, our neighbors!

0 comments:

Post a Comment